Monday, December 22, 2014

The Perfect Little Getaway

Monday, December 15th

I had this dream.

I am walking around the house barefoot;
My toes feel light, soft on the smooth floor.

The world is glowing,
I am floating from one tile to the next.

I am freshly showered;
My skin is still cooling its steam, smelling of lemons. Always lemons.

My insides feel loose, relaxed, satisfied;
Renewed in all raw, natural sensations. There was some magic before this moment.

This house I’m tiptoeing smells warm;
Like eggs and bacon and espresso. 

There is an early sunshine sneaking through the windows, 
waiting patiently to be played in.

I am not alone in this dream;
And he is singing Rodriguez.

I never see his face, but I like to feel he is smiling.
Both arms slip undisturbed around his waist.

I can't seem to open my eyes. but gently each other sense awakens all over again.
We steal a breakfast kiss.

I had this dream.

A dozen different bird sounds bring me back to consciousness, and we exchange our technicoloured reverie for those natural puzzle-piece fits, shifting slightly in sleepy smiles. With soft, silent secrets shared between the sheets comes reluctance to surrender to this brand new day. But we let it come, we let it rustle us back into vitality. Because with experience we know: these will only be more wonderful waking hours.

I hop in the shower; he asks me what I’d like for breakfast.
I lather in lemon, I hear him press play.

Guess I’ll keep my dreams, they’re more than your answers.
You’ll burst at the seams, no I’ll take my chances.

                                                                                ~~

pm,
Driving back from an arvo of waterfalls and warm sunshine. My skin is humming, sun soaked, the drive is bumpy with butterflies. A perfect day of seclusion; cliff jumping, summer baking, silly superficial conversations on the riverbank. Today I looked at him and felt so secure in the thought, I just really like being near.

An evening elevated, increased altitude, natural wonders, literal star-crossed lovers. We watch the bats stream above us, a steady flow of night creatures soaring overhead into the mauves and pinks of our day slipping away. What a good day it was; better than good. And we are left giggling with the house pets, intoxicated by those big, shining solar systems.



Tuesday, December 16th
I reckon some of the most exhilarating, most worthy seconds of your life come with a little coaxing (preferably from 3 young Aussie studs!). Today I had a whole handful of those seconds, and I really wouldn’t have done any of it without feeling that slight force, that healthy pressure to (sometimes literally) spread your wings and take that leap of faith.

It takes the right kind of people to have that effect on you, to spend a full arvo doing reasonably dangerous things, cliff jumping and rock climbing and slippery stone hopping and wading through rushing waterfall currents… To come out of it with just a few new scrapes and scratches, and a heart still racing with adrenaline from the afternoon sunshine and good company, because you felt genuinely safe the entire way through.

Really though, what is the worst that could happen? It’s only 14 meters of distance from that rushing waterfall pit staring back up at you. Shaky legs, half a bottle of goon in your tummy, the cheers and encouragement from those who went before you, one deep breath, turn off that common sense switch in your mind, and never, ever, hesitate.

I reckon we should live the majority of the moments in our daily lives this way. Quit thinking and jump. How much of a risk could it even be if that Aussie guy you've come to let yourself trust in wild influence without inhibition is just 14 meters down, smiling that smile, knowingly. He knows I'll do it. 

That's why I'm here. That's why we're doing this. 


Wednesday, December 17th
A picnic in paradise
Big private beach, cold leftover beers.

Our last full day for a little while, spent in sunshine smiles. And despite the minor hiccup interruptions, it’s so nice to just lay here next to him, soft sand in my fingertips, summer seeping into my skin, feeling ultimately grateful and satisfied with the way that things worked out. Things seem to have a way of it, especially for us. It’s easy to stay hopeful that they will just continue to. 

The countdown to January is on… xo

No comments:

Post a Comment