Thursday, January 1, 2015

Cheers, New Year

January 1st, 2015

There are always about a million ways to go about the New Year, New Life post – it’s hard to settle on just one (preferably one that hasn’t been done a hundred times before!). I have had so many New Life moments in the past year, when everything seemed to be renewed and I got to make so many wonderful first steps…
I had my brave New Life when I moved home from England, my beautiful New Life when I began my 100happydays, my most significant New Life when I moved to Australia, and I’m about to take another big first step into a New Life in Western Australia which will undoubtedly bring new challenges and new triumphs.

In thinking about the least clichéd way to summarize my best year to date (and by thinking I mean procrastinating because how difficult is that particular summarization task?!), I think back to where I was at midnight last night. While one year slipped into the next, I was tucking another tiny piece of paper into my peacock Kleenex box on my desk here. It was a happy moment. A happy moment worthy of my positivity jar (which has since become an interchangeable box, as jars are tough to travel with!).

Last January I started a little project for myself. On February 27th I shared it with the world:


I spent some time this aft making up some of these jars (which match the massive one next to my bedside table!) for any and every one willing to take the challenge. To take responsibility and accountability for their happiness. I strongly encourage each and every one of you to recycle an old jar, a Tupperware container, a Kleenex box! And commit to recognizing just one positive part of every day. Do it for you, do it for the person you will be on December 31st of this year :) – just imagine who that person will be! Where they will be! And all that has become of him/her in the days since their first paper slip was inserted…” 

What better way to sum up this happiest year than to share with you some of my happiest moments…

January 3rd ~ spent an entire afternoon drinking tea + listening to acoustics + writing in my journal. <3

January 22nd ~ midnight, a wonderful 9 hours in Brantford with Dustin: the boy helping me to smile again.

January 23rd ~ BEST RANCH NIGHT! 2 stepping with real cowboys (Peter, James, Pablo/Lee! Lol)! Hours + hours of spinning, twirling, flipping in the air all over the damn place J Post bar acoustic jam at the Super 8! I love my best friend J

January 23rd ~ went into GoodLife for a part time minimum wage job interview … walked out with an offer to be general manager for the new club opening on Eramosa! J Best feeling!

January 23rd ~ “It makes me happy to always know that if the two of us go for a night out, it won’t matter if we know 20 people, 5, 1, or no one – we’re going to have the best time together. No one else I’d rather conquer the dancefloor with J” (guest slip from Katie)

January 26th ~ Tonight, Dustin told me one day he could only hope to “find the kind of love you and Karri had” … He’s the first person I’ve ever truly opened up to about Kar. He said he could hear it in my voice, in my words, see it in my face how much we really loved each other. <3 It meant the absolute world.

January 27th ~ started typing up my journals…

February 3rd ~ candlelit Moksha hot yoga, chatting til 3am, and a perfect (first) goodnight kiss J

February 4th ~ Today I had my first lovely conversation with a boy’s sister J Made me so happy to begin that valued family connection (& with such a beautiful soul, Kate Faith!)

February 4th ~Today I reflected on the last 4 days + launched my newest blog project: 100HappyDays J Couldn’t be more excited.

February 6th ~ Camping (+ kissing!) atop Moe Hill! Minus 10 weather, but soo warm & cozy in that little tent J

February 7th ~ First time seeing Daniel since December 16th … the best day together – being ‘us’ <3<3<3

February 9th ~ Walking home from the gym as the stars are coming out, and your song comes on just as I’m passing the top of the complex, where we sat reclined in your car, giving in. The curb we sat on together waiting for your sister to pick you up after you’d walked me home from down town. Another night we gave in. I looked at those vacant spaces in this present world, and I could SEE us. I could feel you. That kiss you left on my forehead. The love that filled my soul. I miss you.
Hey, momma rock me. <3 xoko

February 10th ~ long, late night car chats w Jas J

February 11th ~ <3 Early valentines celebration, & a significant little first for us, smiley, nervous feelings lingering long after he’s gone.

February 12th ~ Recording w Mike! JJ

February 13th ~ email + offer to be a full time contributor to theblogwander.com !!! First steps to my actual DREAM job!

February 13th ~ AND – I’ve been asked to write the Valentine’s Day MOG (momentsofgratitude.com) …. Because apartently I give off the impression that I know a thing or two about love…

February 14th ~ First solo Vanenties Day in ELEVEN years J

February 14th ~ Wrote my first MOG <3 Such positive feedback J

February 16 ~ GoodLife already feels like best friends & family! <3 <3

February 18th ~ B.C. interview booked!

February 25th ~ First post submitted to BlogWander… it’s a hit! “I love love LOVE it!” – Gina (my editor!) J

February 26th ~ candles, roses, chocolates line my driveway. From the front door to a massive gift bag stuffed with David’s Tea and Patron tequila… lol oohhh, Steve.

February 27th ~ Existentialism <3 *peace*

February 28th ~ Night in Niagara Falls w Daniel <3 (our secret little getaway, lol) One of our best nights ever…

March 2nd ~ Oscar Party w Mom! Daisy from Great Gatsby (won best costume design!)

March 5th ~ Mono L BUT … Possible job opportunity in Bermuda!

March 6th ~ “And I think you are all kinds of remarkable. Just so you know” - <3 sos

March 7th ~ drinks + aps w Sarah Sekenda J a fan turned friend! <3

March 11th – second date with Jake to McD’s! McFlurries & French fries, can’t remember the last time a boy made me laugh so hard J

March 13th ~ 2 bottles of prosecco + one great makeout session…

March 19th ~ First night out with the GoodLife girls (Meaghan & Abby!) Trivia @ Bobby’s (with Jake & friends!) J

March 20th ~ International Day of Happiness! J <3

March 23rd ~ Late night parking lot burgers and life chats with big bro <3

March 27th ~ Daniel to Guelph for 4 nights <3 Our last nights together.

April 3rd ~ I doodled an elephant + it made gym members smile J

April 6th ~ happiest day with dad + the whole family at the bee farm + Angel’s Diner <3J

April 7th ~ 1st date with Michael Barr – steaming up the windows of his car with conversation and giggles as the rain poured down outside all around us.

April 9th ~ Dog walks with Michael along speed river

April 10th ~ “Not only did we sing Wagon Wheel, but we danced, right to the very end, and you were smiling, a real free smile, and we twirled, and you were so beautiful. Xo” (guest slip from Katie)

April 11th ~ Green tea & whiskey work deliveries from Jordan J (he’s the best)

April 12th ~ Romantic scavenger hunt around Guelph…

April 14th ~ late night pump with Meag!

April 16th ~ Secured a place to live in Wollongong, Australia! 10 minutes from the beach J

April 20th ~ sunshine back deck future travel chats with daddy <3 a very happy Easter xo

April 22nd ~ Flight to Sydney, Australia … booked!! (May 28!)

April 26th ~ BABYLINDLEY shower J<3

April 27th ~ Trip to Balzac’s J <3

May 4th ~ Full day chats (the last 3 days) with Steve (Bill)… hmm!

May 7th ~ Hot yoga, + the happiest Thailand FaceTime, all before noon J <3

May 8th ~ Late night tea date with my M3, Yosh, Mark – lovely walk home (as we always did share) <3

May 11th ~ late night early summer-feeling walk with Michael <3 (like the good old days)

May 14th ~ tasted a hops beer tonight that took me allll the way back to Italy … <3

May 15th ~ woke up to birds chirping today J<3

May 16th ~ late night sneak-ins… Bill + Sam

May 17th ~ A slow 2step @ McCabes to Wagon Wheel w Conor Skipper J

May 18th ~ head stands + sauna chats w Abby <3 <3 gonna miss her tons. <3

May 19th ~ Spontaneous patio hop, holiday Monday pub crawl… :D

May 24th ~ GOING AWAY KEGGER :D

May 25th ~ Menchies & Nathan Loder’s baseball game with Britt Nasso – gorgeous perfect summer weather <3

May 26th ~ Last shift at GoodLife Fitness. So spoiled with love + laughter + cake + sweaty hugs!! Lol <3 <3

May 30th ~ First FANTASTIC day in Wollongong <3J I LOVE it here!

May 30th ~ Daniel booked me a one-way ticket to Thailand in 70 days!!

June 2nd ~ Bikram Yoga member J

June 4th ~ Yoga on the beach w the setting sun <3

June 5th ~ First AMAZING night out in Aus! To the Illawara Hotel for retro night <3 In love w my roomies

June 7th ~ First south beach sunrise

June 7th ~ First Australian kiss … J Under the stars, way up high overlooking the ocean.

June 8th ~ Zooming around Wollongong on the back of motorcycle, sitting at the base of the lighthouse, watching the day disappear… <3

June 9th – Vivid Sydney!

June 11th ~ WHALES @ Bundeena!

June 12th ~ KANGAROOS!!!

June 30th ~ first morning balcony yoga + inversions in this flawless ‘winter’ sunshine – new apartment!

July 3rd ~ early 8am runs & beachworkouts. Starting my day staring at the ocean upside down in inversion <3

July 5th ~ 5:07AM (Aussie time), daddy called me on FaceTime for 45 minutes. I got to be in the delivery room with my big, brave sister as her and her wonderful husband brought their first FLAWLESS baby into this big world. I cried the whole time! They are now settled & healthy, I am so, so happy. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BABY BODEN!! Xoxo <3 SO <3

July 22nd ~ First day of Equal Playing Field volunteer program J!

July 29th Just a really nice arvo on the beach with Amy & Pat, reading, studying, laughing w the setting sun J

July 30th ~ 3rd surf lesson – first day I caught my own waves (without Azza’s help!)

August 23rd ~ Of all of the wonderful moments we shared in Thailand this month, making magic in the ocean with only our fingertips was my favourite. Let your heart, sweet heart, be your compass when you’re lost…

September 1st ~ New Yoga Studio! Younga membership J

September 1st ~ Coffee & Jesus! (lolJ)

September 5th ~ First tea date with HellzBellz! Helen from the UK, living here & following my blog! LOVELIEST lady! <3 #instabuds

September 7th ~ I have experienced Mother’s/Father’s Day in 3 different countries in the last 4 months! … I think that’s neat!

September 7th ~ Post-sushi/BYOB date drinks at Jef’s … Sailor Jerry on the rocks, candle lit, old vinyl records playing…

September 8th ~ late night run with Aaron (surf instructor) & ended up filming a proposal!!! Such an incredible moment to be apart of, even with strangers! Wow <3<3<3

September 14th ~ whisky on the rocks with Jef & Rod Stewart … <3

September 24th ~ Played hooky from work w Amy in Kiama, cheese cake & coffee by the water, swapping tragic high school stories <3

September 26th ~ First official direct deposit payday! Bottle of tequila as my first debit purchase … ;)

September 28th ~ ACRO YOGA! + a fab train around this early summer beach town, topless & shortshorts, feeling GOOD & confident about ME

October 4th ~ Yours + Owls music festival –getting my friends drunk for free, sneaking kisses in the middle of the live, happy, magic early summer field. Most amazing experience. So, so groovy.

October 11th – weekend camping in the Blue Mountains w a handful of this world’s most wonderful internationals. Great sights & stellar company.

October 14th ~ MEAG + LAUR arrive!!!

October 18th ~ Snowy & Keegan’s beach bday at Stanwell … <3<3 Good weather, great people, sweet drinks around the bonfire, snuggled under a beach towel, getting to know brand new fantastic people. One of my very favourite nights here in Australia. (glowstick bracelet from the night tucked into my box)

October 23rd ~ 6am, I woke up today and on instinct, all on its own, my mind’s very first thoughts were “I’m grateful. I am so grateful.” <3 Waking up with the sun

October 23rd ~ sunny arvo protein shakes with Helen <3 swapping life updates, sharing how lucky we feel to have found one another.

October 23rd ~ RETRONIGHT WTG <3

October 24th ~ Best 4 hour skype with my best friend & soulmate, sos <3

October 24th ~ Speak Easy pop up art show / live music & donation drinks w Jef & the boys, me & my girls. Feeling classy & grown up & beautiful & happy. <3

October 25th ~ weekend escape to the city! Wake Up backpackers & King’s Cross wtg <3 xo

November 1st ~ … kissed my surf instructor. Aaaand my boss. In the same weekend. oopssorrynotsorryaustraliayoloyikes

November 10th ~ An old man called me a “beautiful blue-eyed Aussie lassie!” !! I’m an Aussie lassie!! Lol J

November 16th ~ The most magical night in Australia thus far. Spontaneous mini road trip adventure to Stanwell Tops lookout after dark, climbing down close to the edge, over looking the sparkling town & the roaring midnight ocean, Stanwell beach, where we mysteriously (fatefully?) met, one whole month ago. Laying back into the grass + dirt of the cliff side, tucked close next to one another, staring at our iMAX sphere of stars, following the slow-falling comets with the same eyes, swapping insights + philosophies + ancient myths. And that moment when it clicked into place, and it was time to stop talking + just let that sky settle over us, as we settled into each other, soft & deep, sweet & sure.  He’s such a good one. I’m so bummed this is his last week in town. But way more so than that, I’m so grateful for nights like tonight: watching him sing live, chicken burgers on the beach, spending the night side by side under the bright Aussie stars. Sigh.

November 18th ~ Early summer fling was TOTALLY worth quitting my day job for ;)

November 19th ~ Koolabong for last Uni night of the school year + the full res experience...

Novemebr 21st AM ~ Early morning stroll through the Friday markets, coffee and treats w my Littlest Linda; an arvo at the beach, letting the waves pull us and push us, screaming, giggling like children. My favourite Canadiangirls & my favourite Aussie boy, side by side under the summer sun <3

November 21st PM ~ The best night in, drinks & card games with Laura, Ata, Trent, Tom, Tim & Meag <3 <3 2am excursion to the beach where we stayed until 6:30am… sitting together on the rocks out seemingly in the middle of the whole ocean... 

November 23rd ~ First night camping in Bega … witnessing sea souls, lightening waves, the electric ocean in a totally different transcendent state. 

November 27th ~ I did absolutely nothing today between the hours of 8am and 4pm, but write. <3 <3 #australianmintcovered

November 27th~ JJs & the new Hunger Games for Amy’s bday J (“I do NOT volunteer as tribute”)

November 28th ~ 2 hours & 45 minutes on Skype with Nate <3 Just as if we were hanging out back in StKits again. 

December 6th ~ Waking up to morning FTs with daddy & Josie & lil nugget BO <3<3

December 6th ~ Another lovely life chat with my mother who often feels more like a best friend. <3 <3

December 9th ~ Today at the gym someone asked me if I was a gymnast! Another person asked if I was a poll dancer… both equally flattering! ;) xo

December 10th ~ GNO w KrysiteBabes & Ellz – dancing in giant bar dancefloor puddles, tearing it up to our #1 request (all things Kanye), rolling around on the 2am streets after being ‘kicked out’ of the Grand for starting a barefoot danceparty… LOVE those girls.

December 11th ~ impromptu lil dinner party for Tim, Tom, Sam, Meag, Trav & Trent – homemade chili & stuffed peppers. Feeling so domestic! Haha. Christmas carols & home cooking <3

December 12th ~ MtKeira adventure time with the dream team (Tim, Tom, Meag & me!)

December 13th ~ SANTA CLAUSE PUB CRAWL (DRUNK BY 2PM)

December 19th ~ First (of many, I’m sure!) Skype w Abby Born! Felt like I was catching up with a best friend of years and years, as if we’d just chatted less than a week ago – haha. Cyberspace/travel/blogger besties J <3

December 20th ~ EllzBaaabe over for catchups & lifechats & necessary vents until 1am. I’m falling asleep feeling so lucky I met that girl, she’s such a true friend & a beautiful soul

December 21st ~ BALLPIT SNOW ANGELS. Top 5 best bar moments of the year @ North Gong w my Little Lindy

December 22nd ~ an arvo at the beach, a well-sweated fitness class, an evening of cookie baking & Christmas card writing <3 *mistel toe doodle*

December 23rd ~ First shift @ 3 Chimneys! Loving how full circle my little Wollongong life has come (spending my last 3 weeks here working at the very first place I ever visited!)

December 24th ~ Wicked xmas eve service with Elle @ Salt Church. Man, I am so lucky to have that gorgeous, generous soul in my life. Looking forward to future Salt events!

December 31st ~ Spending midnight on New Years with the only person I would ever want to: my best friend in the whole entire world. Thank goodness for technology. Thank goodness for her <3

                                                                           ~~~~~
So many wonderful memories, and many I wouldn’t have been able to recall in such detail. I’m so happy I recorded them, and brought them all around the world with me.

I don’t even feel like I could make a genuine, conclusive summary of my year 2014… And I think that is because I spent the entire year reflecting and observing, constantly being aware of what wonder was going on around me, I truly experienced this year, like no other year I’ve ever had before; I was fully alive and present in every single day of it. Somehow, it doesn’t feel like it’s come to an end. And I think that is because even though today reads ‘2015,’ it simply feels like an extension, of my happiest year yet.

“…just imagine who that person will be! Where they will be! And all that has become of him/her in the days since their first paper slip was inserted…” I could not have imagined how incredibly my life would evolve between last January and today.

I really do think this year could be just as magical and captivating as my last, and I can’t wait for every single new opportunity to come my way. As my best friend Katie Kolenko writes, “…I am predicting a lot will be the same, and also nothing will.”


Cheers, New Year xo

No comments:

Post a Comment