Saturday, February 14, 2015

As a result of my addiction to this world...

For most of my life I have believed that words are the ruins left by those compelled to record their thoughts as the result of their addiction to this world, and just as ancient pottery must break into shards and ancient buildings are reduced to their foundations and dinosaurs have left behind their skeletons, all of our scribblings and notations, even this here narrative, must eventually lose their meaning. I say this to you, and yet I still attempt with all of my literary might to describe my experiences, though I can promise you that nothing, in the end, will seem conclusive. Stories are like dreams in this way. They happen. They do not happen. They are right here. They exist in some other world entirely.

And there are some dreams that get stuck between your teeth when you sleep, so that when you open your mouth to yawn awake they fly right out of you. I have been confusing my dreaming with reality, my make-belief with actuality. I spend so many hours each day in solitude, constructing images and scenarios and perfectly punctuated paragraphs in hopes that someday, somehow, I will understand how to bring them to life, how to make relevant these remnants of my mind, to preserve this rubble as relics, with honour and reverence, to somehow survive the inevitable destruction of significant worth.

I am indeed addicted to this world, and I am in awe of my life. You are allowed to hold a higher admiration for your own work in existence, especially when all you do is aim to be someone whose life is routinely transcendental. And when this is your only (or primary) intent, you begin to recognize divinity in the everyday ordinary. Your own life becomes unrivaled, your existence unparalleled, your whole world exceptional. You lose any desires you once had to be accepted, to be validated, to be authenticated by anyone or anything. You stop searching for things to make you happy and start simply counting all of the ways you smiled that day. You stop waiting for circumstances to improve and start wondering how life in its current state could possibly get any better. You count blessings instead of hours remaining in a work shift or days remaining in a workweek or months remaining on a contract. You spew sanguineness, you radiate readiness and buoyance, you attract fortune and opportunity.

I find meaning in my motions, in my daydreams and my dialogues, even if I know these things may not survive the ultimate test of time. That is okay, because right now they are strong and beautiful and alive. Right now they are relevant, if to no one else but myself. Right now I have every motivation and every intention to keep these dreams at the surface of both my sentient and my subconscious.


Sure, a new exciting life lays right on the horizon for me… but this life right here and now is certainly magnificent anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment