Saturday, June 14, 2014

Week 2, June 7-14th... Whales, Kangaroos, TimTams, oh my!

Saturday, June 7th
I set my alarm for 5:15 this morning and me and my Canon took to the beach for the rising sun. Though I missed first light (this, I imagine, would be a whole other experience), I sat on my yoga mat, bundled in 2 woolies, watching the illuminated clouds transform before my eyes; a whole spectrum of colours between 6 and 6:55am. And then, as if I knew, I wandered straight down to the waves, leaving my mat and camera behind up on the sand dunes, and I stood at the edge of the water and witnessed the sunrise over the clouds and break the sky. How quickly it appeared when it seemed to be hidden for so long, stuck back in yesterday. And then suddenly it was beaming red, wide across the entire sky, illuminating a whole brand new day. It was magical, truly.

I snuck away with perfect time to make it over to Bikram for the 8am 90 minute hot yoga. Much needed shower & laundry, 2 eggs, 2 oranges, 2 oreos to follow! ;) Balanced morning, feeling energized and alive <3

This evening is the How Down with Snowy & friends! Excited to get my Canadian country girl on :)

Sunday, June 8th
The most magical 24 hours.

Last night was too good to be true. Mountain top, 1 am, over looking the ocean crashing down beneath, underneath the clearest, brightest stars, vacant of any and all light pollution. Slow, quiet, easy, calm. Butterflies.

This evening was equally wonderful. Perhaps more so, as I got to jet around on the back of a motorcycle; fly, soar. Holding tight, smiling harder and harder as the speed increases, and I resist the urge to squeal, to squeeze my eyes shut and miss it all; I refuse to. We sat on the rocks of North Beach Harbor, and then wandered right down to sit at the very base of the lighthouse, watching the setting sky turn 12 different hues.   

 Monday, June 9th
Solo train visit to Sydney on a rainy holiday Monday afternoon. I do adore the train, and I really enjoy my lonesome travels. I’ve got a fantastic little playlist of 8 songs that have come together over the past days since being here, and I am so content spending the full 90 minutes falling in and out of day dreams, listening to those tracks on repeat.

I met Eamon at Sydney Central! A wonderful small-world instance, someone I haven’t seen in years but who wouldn’t hesitate to make the quickest possible plans while we’re both on the opposite side of the world from home and friends and family and Guelph. A quick train and one extremely intoxicated encounter (cool first impressions, Sydney! Haha) and we’re at the heart of Vivid! We find Ciaran (another Guelphite!) and we wander the most colourful, magical, rainy evening streets until we are satisfied with the snapstories (seeing the Opera House for the first time was brilliant! It took my breath away in the same way that the Eiffel Tower did once upon a time. So majestic and profound). By then the umbrellas and the cooler coastal air shuffle us indoors to Bar100 for $10 pizzas and a whole handful of pitchers. I train home with a full belly and a light head, and new friends and a whole pizza box and the same 8 songs. And a big, sleepy smile.


Tuesday, June 10th
I spent between the hours of 5 and 10pm laughing hysterically with my roommates in the kitchen, circled around their creative endeavors; scrapbooking, designing, sewing. How genuine these girls are humbles me. How completely individual and unique. How loudly they laugh, how excited they get over the little things, how happy they are simply revisiting old posts, old statuses, notes made in iPhones about their inside jokes and funny conversations. These girls know how to savor these best of days. They appreciate how much passion this world can inspire. They are young and wild and exaggerated, they have beautiful, beautiful souls. Sometimes I feel right at the heart of it with them, having been roped directly, fluently into their hysterical wonderland. Other times I simply feel lucky enough to be a bystander, an observer of their most sincere interactions. I miss my Jacobson girls. I miss my Guelph girls. So many reminders of all of my favourite people spring from these three hilarious individuals. I will miss them being just a wall away in only two weeks time. But then we have Byron! That road trip will be epic.

Today also marked my 1/3 journey point through my personal 30-day Bikram challenge! 12 classes in 10 days :) I feel fantastic. I trekked to the 10am hot yoga class in the pouring rain and smiled the entire time through. I spent the next two hours FaceTiming my absolute bests from Guelph & Missisauga, getting soooo necessarily caught up on the giggliest of weekend details :):)  I’m so grateful to have those girls to spill every single second to. Ahhh it’s so nice to see their smiley faces. I got a good chunk of online applications done today too, but this week will have to be heaps productive on the job-front.

There are a few plans for picnics, motor trips up Mount Kiera, and a book swap in the works though (*giggly monkey face!). It’s gona be a good one!

Wednesday, June 11th
Another absolutely breathtaking, fantastic experiential afternoon with my best Aussie mates. Today was loud and daring and adrenaline-rushing; magical and even unbelievable.  

WE SAW WHALES!! TWO OF THEM! And I didn’t have a complete meltdown! It was incredible. But we’ll get there…

Today my roommates and I roadtripped to the Royal National Park, Bundeena and it was phenomenal. Quick Woolys picnic prep & boy creeping groms & bogans. Only the essentials: cinnamon doughnuts, Tim Tams, Lemon Lime & Bitters, peanut M&Ms. Our entire trip up the coast was Ben Howard, Seth Century, Matt Corby, Passenger, The Killers, Ingrid Michaelson, Daughter, anything and everything feel-good. Windows down, singing at the top of our lungs, taking each hairpin turn at full speed, exhilaration.

We trekked through the bush to the ocean clearing, mud puddle hopping, follow-the-leader. The view upon arrival: spectacular, my goodness. Just another one of those ‘google-image’ moments as I’ve come to coin them, things I never thought I’d actually see in person. It doesn’t even look like real life, but rather too good to be true. Barefoot mountain climbing the red sand stone cliffs hundreds of meters over-hanging the ocean; the most immense, raging waves of every shade blue. Group shots, pairing off, and solo sits. Dangling my feet straight over top the highest cliff I've ever sat on, my heart was absolutely racing just sitting there. 
And it becomes so clear to me how worthy it is to overcome fears at the expense of taking in the massive planet around me. Those peripherals. These Australian peripherals are killing me! <3 <3

And what’s more incredible than all of that? Spending the day surrounded by equally awe-struck Australian natives. These girls are just as genuinely overtaken by how beautiful our views are out here, even though they grew up with these sights. Their appreciation for their home country, knowing exactly how lucky they are to be living in such a paradise, it’s humbling. It is just the kind of influence I would only dream to be surrounded by. I don't think they would never ever take a single day of this beautiful life here for granted, and that is so much more rare than I think they even know.

And then we saw whales!! A pair of them! Dancing, playing, waving their tales back and forth right at us, taking turns flapping, slapping them down to echo so loudly over the water. We followed them along the whole coastline, as they performed their showy routine for us. It was the most incredible thing to ever see in person, I am still shaking my head smiling at the memory.

We pulled over at Bundeena beach to catch the sunset sinking behind a whole flock of sailboats. Silhouette yoga poses, for the cliché win. 

5:30pm driving home after the sun sets, twisting those hairpin turning roads, nibbling cinnamon doughnuts & listening to my roommates blare & scream Matt Corby. Driving Sea Cliff bridge, they make sure I have the best view and my heart is swelling for about a million reasons. Today has been one of the most spectacular days of my entire life.

"This is life. And it sounds so good"
- Ellen

The evening is way too much more junk food, editing & blogging & studying, Coldplay and card games that make us laugh until we can’t breath (and Krysten can’t swallow…..). And tomorrow! We’ll do Kangaroo Valley, because they can’t believe that seeing a Kangaroo in person is just as extravagant to me as seeing a whale. I am so excited “I might cry” (lol)! Then I will run and Bikram and take a bike drive up Mount Keira for yet another magical evening.

Ahhhh, it is so good. It is all so good.  

Thursday, June 12th
Adventure-chasing, day #2! Krystie, Ruby & I were back on the road by 10:30 this morning in search of more spectacular views and fantastical creatures. The road trip itself was awesome, stopping sporadically and spontaneously a half dozen times on the side of the road when some view caused a double-take, or a distant train track whispered inspiration to one of three young girls with keen eyes for beautiful shots.

We went up MacQuarie Pass to Fitzroy Falls, and finally Kangaroo Valley. After lunch of ‘The World’s Best Meat Pies’ (& I think they really might have been), we scooted around to Bendella Picnic area where we spotted a wombat right away. Dodging a field full of droppings, we got nice and close to the furry little thing! Much cuter than the half-severed one we first saw on those picturesque train tracks… Rainbow lorikeets, wallabies, kookaburras, and finally kangaroos! A whole heard of them, unfortunately spooked by distant forestry blasts in the mountains around us. But to see them flee, their long legs so quick and powerful, it really was a beautiful sight.

We drove back down the tight windy roads, through the gorgeous little town of Berry, to Kiama for a quick (anti-climactic) blow hole visit, still a breathtaking view of the ocean (I think that view, in any way shape or form, has become a necessity for my happiest of days. I am completely obsessed). Benjamin Francis Leftwich & Ginger Safari sing us home.

The evening is contortionist and inversion training with my little acrobat, because why not, and then ONE TREE HILL!!!! Because also, why not. Wicked wings, apple juice (……..) & giggles til midnight. A perfect Thursday night indeed.

Friday, June 13th {makes me think of poppa}
Another late night at North Beach, laying on leather & plaid, one single pinky ring is already lost among the sand, and the tide is creeping closer and closer, right up to our toes. 

Saturday, June 14th
Early morning run & quiet playground workout before my Saturday morning cartoons (Greys Anatomy..). Krystie, Rubs & I went for sushi lunch in Fairy Meadow (soooo delicious, a whole rotating trolley of deliciousness) and then the most incredible dessert of Golden Gaytimes (icecream bars, lol) sitting on the front sidewalk as surfer passer-bys gave us a chuckle.

Our little house was slowly dissected today as parents are coming to help begin the move-out process, collecting bed frames and couches and kitchen tables. We are all currently sitting on the collage of doonas and pillows scattered over our kitchen floor, belting SOMEBODY TO LOOOOOOVEEE and all of the rest from Queen’s Greatest Hits CD. A fabulous Saturday night, as you might imagine. Soon it will just be me & Kristybabes left up to our own mischief. We'll meet the girls downtown for a cider or twooo at His Boy Elroys (http://www.hisboyelroy.com.au).

I photocopied resumes today (finally)! So next week I will be more productive! I have already secured a few tutoring students for July though, which will be excellent extra cash. I am not worried (yet), though if that is still my only source of income by July, I may be formulating a plan B sooner than later.

Ahhhhh such a wonderful week 2 :D I can’t wait for all of the small, beautiful, butterfly-inducing plans already forming for next week. But until then, I practice being present. Just being here and now and happy and grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment