Sunday, August 31, 2014

New month, new reasons to smile

September 1st, 2014!
Today is an exciting day! Today is a BEAUTIFUL day (it seems I brought the warm, sunny weather home with me – you’re welcome Wollongong!). I made a big decision today, and while it took me half of a 90-minute class of internal debate to reach this decision, I am so keen to get a start on this new little path.

Since the last couple of days have left me feeling a little out of place here, the decision, in the end, was really quite simple: make a change. Or make some changes! Change as much or as little as necessary to feel new again, to feel excited and motivated and challenged. I reckon it is just about rearranging your life into new routines when things start to feel stiff; it’s about setting new expectations of yourself and your world, and finding brand new sources of inspiration for knowing it is all going to be well & good!

Today, I decided (brace yourselves) … to join a new yoga studio! Menial and insignificant to many of you, sure! But for me, this is a big deal. It’s a big deal because my practice is of the top 3 most favourite things I even do with my life. It’s a big deal because I am still working at the Bikram studio, so I get those classes for free! It’s a big deal because a new studio offers a new vibe and new regulars and new instructors that can always leave even the most experienced of yogis feeling a little bit shy.

But alas, Amy and I ventured to the Younga Yoga Studio this morning and felt instantly welcomed and wonderfully encouraged. They are still longer classes, but they are diverse and rearranged into new routines each week (while Bikram is the exact same orderly 26 poses class after class). Also, they play music! Ed Sheeran & Passenger really caught my attention. What sold me though was the instructors mini handstand workshop mid-class! My personal goal of the last 8 months. And while it took me 5 months to nail the forearm stand with various modifications (including sticking it on a wavy surf!), I am still so determined to be strong enough to hold that balance perfectly. ALSO, if those things didn’t already do it for me, there is a 1-day AcroYoga class offered at the end of this month and that is a dream come true, people. This couple hosting the class travels all over the world to give their workshop and I have only ever wanted to be lifted and bent and twisted by some strong and capable yogi. I am literally setting a countdown on my phone for this event. Lol :)

It is in the littlest things that I will find my happy here again, so so easily. It’s a new shade of pink on my toe nails, it’s the perfect 8tracks outside on this sunshiny balcony. It’s spending 7 Sunday evening hours in the living room with my roommate procrastinating and conversing and watching Sex and the City (like the good ol’ days as 134J sat around our TV room … “studying”). It’s saying yes to a date in Sydney to catch an NRL rugby game this Thursday! And planning a wild girls night out Wednesday. And booking in for my next surf lesson. And phone interviews for renowned tutoring centers! And facetimes from Baby Bo in Myrtle Beach :)

Today feels good. Today feels really, really good. I reckon any day you begin with 90 minutes of yoga & then a bowl of raw oats, almonds, chia seeds & organic honey is bound to do that to you! I’m off now to the Gong’s new outdoor café with Amy & Liz (her book has been absolutely soul-changing, by the way).


Have the happiest of Mondays, ya’ll!

No comments:

Post a Comment