Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Far Out

Wednesday, July 23rd  
I had just about the best possible day one can have all to themselves.

I woke up to an email from a tea company based out of Miami who found me through my instagram and asked if I would be interested in being an international representative for their detox program. They wondered if I might allow them to send me a 30-day supply to try out & possibly promote. I read free tea! I replied quickly! More on this experience to come soon.

I literally woke up feeling more energized than ever to start Day 2 of my sugar-free kick; I made a bowl of plain, organic oatmeal with a splash of unsweetened almond milk and a tsp of natural peanut butter. It was the perfect weather for a day off with no plans whatsoever. I sat outside and ate slowly and breathed deeply and let the hot winter rays settle onto my bare skin.

I spent 3 hours out there on the balcony, with lemon in my green tea, lemon in my tall glass of water, and lemon in my hair. I let easy country tunes play quietly and I buried my freckly nose in my newest favourite book: Committed. It’s just me & Liz again, my favourite gal, who has bumped herself up even higher on that list through these spot-on pages outlining the non-importance of marriage.

I’m obsessed with how she details the natural existence of commitment and dedication and fidelity and exclusivity to another human being, even in the eternal sense, without having to conform to the institution of marriage. She makes it more and more clear to me how uninterested I am in ever getting married. I realize this is only how I feel now in this current life, but I do feel it quite strongly! I think a lifelong partnership would be the dream for me. The commitment to simply be together, to spend our lives together (me and my fictional future partner, I mean), would be more than enough. That commitment, consciously devoid of official certification, would feel miraculous in its own liberation. That is what I want.

Around noon I finally shower the sweaty sun & the citrusy strands. I make open-faced tuna, celery, lemon & avocado English muffins before my quick jog to Bikram for some Power Yoga. Ahh, I’ve missed the challenge of this class!! So, so good. After class I jogged home & changed from sports bra to bikini for another attempted surf lesson! While waves & weather have prevented me the last couple of weeks, I finally got out there with Liam & sugar it felt good. The sheer, uncontrollable, unpredictable force of the ocean; the dozen different shades of blue between the clear water & the late arvo sky; the intensity of that creeping anticipation as the waves rush behind you; paddle, paddle, pop, glide. Catching my first wave on my first go will be an Aussie memory I won't soon forget. Safe to say I'm hooked!


And only one minor injury! A pretty knarly chunk out of my foot that my surf instructor noticed before I did. Round 2 tomorrow will heal it right up ;)

My evening was spent with all of my favourite female roomies, past & present, getting caught up on all things work and school and actually neither of those things, namely just Tinder & dating. Hahah the essentials. I miss em!!! But next week Uni is back in session and we’ll at least be sharing the same town again for the majority of days! A missed evening Yin was totally worth the company.


To cap this perfect day, to exhale gratitude all over the sun and the waves and my yoga mat and avocados and friendship and everything else that made today perfect, I’m sipping a glass of white and I’m smiling at all of the things this little Aussie world of mine has already brought me and shown me and made me. I am so happy here. I absolutely love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment