Thursday, July 10, 2014

New beginnings, new days, new roles... Miss Oke: coach & teacher (once more!)

Thursday, July 10th
Today was my favourite day, so far. And no, that statement will never lose validity.

I have never felt more inspired or more excited about anything in my life. By what must be my 100th fateful encounter (the universe has become my best friend), I met someone just last night who was recruiting facilitators to help run one of the most fantastic high school programs that exists. I agreed on the spot and spent today in pure anticipation, literally on the edge of my seat to be apart of implementing this movement, delivering this program, being at the front of a classroom again, actually making a difference.

I am the newest member of the Rugby League Against Violence and possibly the keenest instructor for the Equal Playing Field program, which facilitates Respectful Relationship Education through weekly 4-hour sessions combining physical education and classroom modules.

I won’t even try to put it into my own words,
The Equal Playing Field (EPF) Project is an eight-week course that aims to encourage both behaviour and attitude change around issues of gender inequality and violence.
Over the eight weeks, 12 and 13 year-old boys and girls take part in a mixed tag competition that weaves respectful relationship education with integrated training and game days. While approximately two thirds of teams compete in recreational matches and refine their on-field skills, the remaining teams undergo education from facilitators in more of an interactive classroom environment – known as “The Sheds.”
It is in these classes that Equal Playing Field differentiates itself from other sport-related youth education programs. Rugby league is not just used as a carrot in attracting participants, but a vehicle to help teach, discuss and understand these vital life lessons. Education on gender equality and respectful relationships can therefore be delivered in a way that is sensitive, appropriate, effective and, just as importantly, enjoyable.

What I will dictate myself is how remarkable the other program leaders are, namely Adam, the bossman, who has such genuine passion and personal motivation to make a difference for these kids. How welcoming everyone was, how eager to let me share & express ideas & opinions – how fantastic it felt to be in a classroom myself again! Learning and discussing and uncovering ideas!

During one activity (we walked through the whole 8-week program yesterday, actually partaking in each task the students will), we were to sit reflectively for 60 seconds, to become aware of our ‘self-talk’. So we sat, and the minute went on, and then we were all asked to share the things that went through our minds. Lots of people (myself included) expressed excitement and enthusiasm for the program, some opened up to being too stressed about school and work to focus properly, and then Adam stated, loud & clear, ‘I thought about how awesome it is to have Kelsey here. What a great find she is, perfect for this program!’ and that caught me off guard! And my whole chest filled with pride and gratitude and such clear realization that this kind of work is what I’ve absolutely always wanted to do in the field of education. And would you know it, the Wollongong Mercury arrives to take some photos for the article they are writing about EPF and who was chosen to be in that photo? Hehe 
Read Here :):) (don’t I feel like a local now!)

Not only do I get to be at the front of classrooms again, but I also get to be out on the field! I already have a feeling that being a coach is something that might completely hook me! We get to be casual and personable with the students, building rapport, influencing kindness (of course I introduced them all to Challenge Day). While we will be working in schools with lower socio-economic stats, it is the simple goal of bringing awareness to the way we treat each other; we shed light on what is right and what is warped, when it comes to human interaction and relations. We are teaching kids to be good, respectful people, to help them understand boundaries and trusting outlets for escape when relationships cross over into the ‘messy team’ characteristics. We focus on celebrating the students who conduct themselves in the most positive way.

I could go on, and on, and on… but I think I have made it clear how obsessed I already am with this concept. I think I hadn’t really let myself feel how strongly I missed being in front of a group of students, since my last experience with that was often unpleasant. I didn’t even realize I missed it, and suddenly I am rearranging the entire next 8 weeks of my life to ensure I can be the most I can be for this organization. How easily I made the decision to cut other planned travels short for fear of missing more than one of these sessions – and how remarkable it felt to be so instantly certain of that decision! To find something that I want to be apart of more than anything that has been lingering, fading for so long now. This is a brand new beginning for me; a clear, distinct, honest feeling inside of me that I am ready for things much more meaningful than holding out for ‘seeing how the cards fall’ – I have been dealt a new hand and I LOVE this hand and it doesn’t force me to be passive, it allows me to do what I do best: create my own happiness! Make decisions! Take action. Instead of waiting to see what happens, I am deciding to make things happen. I know this will be fulfilling, I know this is just one of many many things that will be much more worthy. This deserves my dedication, my time, my love, my efforts. It deserves those things, and I know it will actually be responsive, and appreciative, and reciprocal and rewarding.

It is going to be phenomenal, I can’t wait for July 22nd!

Friday, July 11th
My Mac’s first visit to the beach, and while I may never get this wind-blown sand out of my keyboard, it was totally worth it. I am sitting 20 feet from the raging 7am waves, the footprints in front of me are my own, my trip down to the water being the first imprints of this beautiful day. But even since sitting here for the past 15 minutes now, the population of this beach has tripled and now a dozen locals have emerged from their (or into their) morning routines, all out to catch these deep yellows and soft tangerine rays. It is a chilly 10 degrees, even colder with bare feet in the sand, and a wind that hasn’t let up in 3 days (canceling all of my paddle & surfboard lessons this week), but my goodness, it is breath taking.

You literally can’t help my sit here thinking… This happens every day!?




How is this beach not flooded! Hundreds of people! How am I not out here every single morning!? This view exists, this sight, this eyeful of luminosity, it happens every single day. The sun rises, we get a new start. A million new chances, opportunities, reasons to smile, to love, to forgive, to be generous and kind. This sun rises every morning and most of us wake up, pick up, continue on. But it is here to renew, to regenerate, to start over again, 24 whole hours. I choose not to merely continue on, even with my gorgeous day to day life here; I choose to feel each day brand new, to feel excited, to feel grateful, to feel curious and eager and inspired, as if this day is the first day! The first day of something spectacular.

Because that’s exactly what it is, isn’t it?


The whole beach smells like bacon and espresso, the north beach kiosk is full of busy morning workers, or uni students on holiday. It is remarkable how Australia doesn’t seem to want to grant me hangovers… Not one, to date, since moving here. Lol, even after Amy and I cooked wine for a handful of friends and stayed up until the early morning hours through 5 bottles of sweet red wine. I feel fantastic! It is going to be a wonderful Friday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment