Thursday, November 13, 2014

You take me higher then I've gone,

Thursday, Nov 13th

“It was just one of those moments” … Those ‘pinch me’ moments. Those moments you’re left remembering and thinking about in 10 years, passing these moments forward.

The last time I can distinctly remember recognizing in the moment that I was having One Of Those Moments, I was zooming through the twisty turny roads along the coast of Italy, “So far it’s a fast drive down a country mountain-side highway, winding in and out of tunnels, around wide swerving curves. Hundreds of wild poppies. A hot air balloon hangs in the clear sky. And I’m laughing in my head at this picture, because this is a moment I refused to let myself imagine before I arrived here, in fear I’d be building expectations only to be disappointed. So now here I am, after just two weeks, flying through this incredible scene on my way to the Sea with three 20-something Italian boys trading the most beautiful-sounding sentences. There is old grandstand swing music playing on the tape deck, I can already feel the ocean air on my skin. How could life get better than this?”

I’m here now having another One Of Those Moments. Leaning back on both hands, legs out stretched, crossed loosely at the ankles, muscles soft through my whole body. I’m smiling. I’m looking out over the entire world. This view also brings me back to Italy, when we sat on the walls of that old church, overlooking the world, passing a warm bottle of wine between us. It’s like the sky is upside-down. Sitting there, looking over the world, shining, spotted, scattered sparkles. It was one of those moments…

Old Man Canyon is singing ‘Higher’, ironically enough, and his arm is criss-crossed intertwined with mine; leaning back, looking out. I’m in Australia, but I’m high, high up on top of the world with those rolling Aussie escarpments in the background. The air is warm, my skin shivers from something else entirely. It was one of those moments; just sitting and smiling and listening to that Australian accent, the slang, the laughter and I’ve lost track of what we’re talking about. The city night lights start to swirl together with our sweet smoke and secret smiles.


How could life get better than this?

No comments:

Post a Comment